- Mission Statement
- Why Join the York Region Parrot Club?
- What do we do at the meetings?
- Where and when do we meet?
- What other activities do we do?
- Has the YRPC been in the media?
- Can I attend A meeting mefore I join?
- How do I join?
- What Are the fees to join?
- Where does the money go?
- Can vendors sell items at the meetings?
- Do you have a Code of Conduct
- Who are the executive?
The York Region Parrot Club is dedicated to the preservation and enhancement of pet birds and the education of their owners.
Why Join the York Region Parrot Club?
Come join our flock! Whether you already own a parrot, are thinking of getting one, or would just like to see some face-to-face, join us at one of our meetings or events. We are a fun bunch!
There's lots of great reasons to join. You will meet other bird-loving people like yourself, learn about parrots in a fun-loving environment, listen to informative speakers, participate in toy making nights, enjoy our social evenings, play games and win awesome prizes, fun for the kids too, and show your bird in our Annual Bird Show and Talent Contest. You will also get to handle lots of different birds. Happy, healthy, Avian Vet checked birds are welcome to our meetings.
What Do We Do At the Meetings?
This is the fun part of being a member! We bring our bird(s) to the monthly meetings and we always have fun socializing the birds and socializing with each other. We usually have a speaker on a topic (eg. active foraging, general parrot care, etc.) or an activity (eg. toy-making night, training night, etc.). See our Calendar for upcoming meeting topics. We also have a tasty refreshment table, a fully stocked library and an optional 50/50 draw or raffle that you can choose to participate in.
To keep our birds happy and healthy, we ask that everyone bringing a bird to the meetings have it checked by an avian veterinarian on a regular basis. We reserve the right to refuse entry to any bird that we feel might pose a health threat to the other birds at our meetings.
Where and When do we meet?
The YRPC meets regularly on every third Tuesday of the month at the Lake Wilcox Community Centre in Oak Ridges. See our Meeting & Location page for a map.
What other activities do we do?
The YRPC also participates in community events and outreaches such as Canada Day in Fairy Lake in Newmarket, All About Pets Show, and more! Our outreach events also include Seniors residences and Cub Scout meetings.
Has the YRPC been in the media?
Yes! The York Region Parrot Club has appeared on Breakfast Television and Snap Media Newmarket.
Can I Attend A Meeting Before I Join?
Of course! We understand our club may not be for everyone so feel free to attend a meeting to check us out. Beware -- you'll probably enjoy it so much you'll want to join on the spot so bring your cheque book! If you would like to attend more than one meeting without becoming a member, admission is $5 per person.
How Do I Join?
To become a member, please fill out a membership form and give your payment to our treasurer at the monthly meeting or an event the club is attending. Cheques are made out to "York Region Parrot Club". You will receive a name tag to wear at the meetings as well as a subscription to our monthly newsletter, "The Gazette". As a member, you will also receive discounts at certain stores (see your copy of the Gazette for listings).
What Are the Fees to Join?
|Family:||$50 (Up to 2 Adults + children under 12 years)|
|$15 (Junior = 12 - 18 years, Senior = 65 and over)|
|Children:||Free! (Children = under 12 years)
Please note that all children should be accompanied by an adult and be supervised at all times.
Where Does the Money Go?
Your membership fees go towards the club's expenses such as location rental, website, guest speakers, etc. and are due in September.
Do You Have a Code of Conduct?
- The York Region Parrot Club exists to provide a fun and non-threatening environment to educate its members about the preservation and enhancement of pet birds.
- Club Members shall conduct themselves in a manner that is both honourable and in keeping with the spirit of professionalism, learning, and educating the public about companion birds.
- Club Members are encouraged to participate in Club activities such as monthly meetings, Club socials, and Club events and outings.
- Club Members shall observe the highest standard of behaviour when representing the Club or attending an event/activity organized by this or any other bird club.
- A Club Member who allows the expected level of behaviour to fall may be subject to disciplinary action. Examples of unacceptable behaviour include but are not limited to:
- Any willful disregard for the health and well being of birds;
- Abusive behaviour or language;
- Threatening behaviour;
- Personal attacks in action or words;
- Provocative, rude or excessive obscene language
Can vendors sell items at the meetings?
We are open to having vendors sell items at our meetings. If you are a vendor, please use our contact page. Please be aware of our policy regarding vendors:
- Each vendor will be permitted up to two tables at the back of the room on the following meeting nights:
- Open House in October
- Christmas Social in December
- Bird Show in June
- If a Vendor wishes to do a presentation for one of the meetings, that vendor may also set up for that evening of the presentation free of charge
- Vendors may bring on-line orders to the meetings for pick-up by the purchasers.
- Fee for a vendor booth will be $25.00 plus a donation for a raffle at that meeting or for an evening in the future.
- Vendors' booths will not be open during Opening Remarks or during any Speaker Presentation.
- Bird-related Vendors only.
- Vendors are welcome to approach the executive should they wish to join the club at public events.
- This policy will be reviewed annually at the August Executive Meeting.
The Newmarket Parrot Association (NPA) was founded in 1999 when a group of parrot enthusiasts gathered for a BBQ. All feathered friends were invited to bring their owners for an afternoon of avian fun! Thus a grass roots organization began and the Newmarket Parrot Association was born! In 2006 the NPA spread its wings to cover all of York region and became the York Region Parrot Club (YRPC). Since then, parrot owners, breeders and birds of a feather, meet once a month to share and learn from one another.
Who are the Executive?
The 2012/2013 Executives are:
|Vice President:||Gregory Pierce|
|Social Committee:||Bonnie Kuehl|
|Executive Member:||Diana Sargla|
|Facebook Co-Ordinator:||Andrea Manning|
|Webmaster:||Lucy Kupnicki||Photographer:||James Bai|